Signs That Indicate You Need to Upgrade Your Electrical Wiring



Signs That Indicate You Need to Upgrade Your Electrical Wiring


According to a study by the Electrical Safety Foundation International, electrical glitches, specifically wiring problems, initiate more than 50,000 house fires every year. Even the simplest of electrical wiring issues should never be overlooked. Start by inspecting your fuse box when you identify any such issues or when the system is modified during renovation. Here are some signs cited by electricians, which every homeowner should look out for:

1. Flickering or Dimming Lights:

Light fixtures draw only small amount of power, whereas large electrical appliances such as heating and cooling equipment require lot of power to operate. When such appliances are wired to the same circuit, flickering or dimming of lights is the result. Get the help of an electrician to inspect the circuit and move lights to a different circuit to keep them functioning normally.

2. Occurrence of Sparks:

Occurrence of sparks should never be taken lightly. If you witness sparks coming out, find out where it’s coming from. If you see that an appliance is sparking, call the technician who could repair the equipment. If you see sparks from the outlet or fuse box, get the help of an electrician as early as possible. Such experts will inspect the outlet and make repairs accordingly.

3. Buzzing:

Electricity itself doesn’t produce noise. When things are normal, they flow smoothly and silently. Loose prongs or worn out wires can disrupt the normal flow of electricity, thereby creating buzzing sounds. If you are unsure as to where the sound is coming from, contact an electrician immediately.

4. Frequent Fuse Blows or Tripping of Circuit Breakers:

Fuses and circuit breakers add an extra layer of protection to your circuit by protecting them against overloading. If you find that an appliance trips the circuit breaker quite often, your appliance might be the cause for it. But when the same fuse blows repeatedly due to the use of a single outlet, it is likely that the circuit is overloaded. Get in touch with an electrician and talk about upgrading the wiring.

5. Weird Odors:

If you are using a brand new appliance, it can possibly produce weird odors the first few times of using it, which is normal. However, if you notice any unpleasant smell coming out of the outlet, turn it off immediately and unplug anything that’s connected to it, right away.

6. Heating of Outlets:

An outlet that powers any appliance should never become hot. The switch plate might be slightly warm due to the flow of electric current, but if it gets too hot, unplug the equipment from it immediately and use a different circuit. If you still find that the outlet is heating up even when there’s nothing connected to it, the issue might be due to incorrect wiring. Consult an electrician and get it fixed as soon as possible.

Keep the above-mentioned points in mind when dealing with your electrical systems. Look for a reliable electrician and fix any underlying issues for safety.


Related Posts

Leave A Reply